Job Title: Transportation Supervisor
Education Level and Certification: 2-year Associates Degree/Technical Education/Diesel Technician. Must maintain at all times during employment an unrestricted motor vehicle operator’s license, a school bus permit as required by state and federal laws, and a satisfactory driving record that meets requirements of School Board policy.
Reports To: Superintendent
General: Oversee the daily operation of the transportation department. This is a 12-month position.
Performance Responsibilities and Job Tasks
- Maintain current commercial drivers license.
- Selection, training, disciplining all transportation department employees.
- Organizing, scheduling, assigning all transportation department jobs.
- Cost accounting of all expenses related to transportation.
- Review time-card sheets.
- Request bids for fuel purchases, tires, parts, vehicles, etc.
- Responsible for drug and alcohol testing program.
- Evaluating drivers.
- Write specifications for new vehicles and other equipment.
- Record all parts and supplies used in vehicle repair and preventive maintenance.
- Maintain operation of two way radio communication equipment and records.
- Fill out reports to the State of Nebraska relating to the state statistical information.
- Perform 80 day mechanics inspection.
- Perform annual state patrol inspections and minimum standards inspection on new buses.
- Supervise two evacuation drills per school year.
- Maintain current map of district riders.
- Plan regular route roads and projected time schedules.
- Advise superintendent of transportation needs, i.e. vehicles, supplies, shop equipment and training.
- Check driver records, license expirations, violations, renewals, CDL’s for currency, level II training, etc.
- Make sure both registration and current insurance cards are in all vehicles.
- Talk with students, parents, principals about violations of student behavior that might require suspension or exclusion of riding privileges.
- Providing transportation for parochial school students, and dealing with problems relating to these students, parents and administration.
- Participation on the school district safety committee.
- Coordination of all special requests for transportation, teacher travel, activities, special education, etc., with activities director.
- Perform oil change, lubrication, and preventative maintenance on recommended mile schedule
- Diagnose and repair all school owned or contracted vehicles, lawn mowers, tractors, etc.
- Assist in snow removal and sand parking lots.
- Communicate with country roads superintendent about road conditions.
- Hold drivers meeting before each new school year and throughout that year.
- Wash and wax vehicles as needed.
- Repair seats and replace seat covers.
- Organize and try to keep shop clean as possible.
- Attend administrative council meetings.
- Attend NSTA, ESU4, ect. workshops and summer maintenance workshop.
- Help maintenance supervisor and groundskeeper as needed. i.e. mover risers, set up chairs, mow, etc.
- Keep inventory control on diesel fuel and gasoline and all related paperwork.
- Check road conditions during inclement weather and report to superintendent.
- Substitute for drivers if needed.
- Consult with Nebraska Department of Roads about having school bus stop ahead signs installed or removed, trees that need to be trimmed, highway shoulder problems, etc.
- Take fire extinguishers to be inspected and certified every summer.
- Drive majority of in-town activities.
- Clean out wash bay sludge pit.
- Install and remove second brake pedal in drivers education car.
- Take care of getting vehicles registered, licensed, title, leasing and notifying insurance company.
- Clean restrooms at bus barn facility.
- Perform preventive maintenance on two shop furnaces. Change filters, oil motors, shut off pilot lights in summer and relight in winter.
- Clean out gutters on bus barn.
- Write and revise driver handbook and transportation safety program.
- Manage bus driver drug testing program.
- Other duties as assigned.
At-Will Position. This position is an “at-will” position and may be terminated, with or without cause, at any time in the sole discretion of the Superintendent or Superintendent’s designee.